Job Role: Branch Customs Supervisor
Division/Department: Europa Road
Reports to: Branch Manager / National Branch Customs Compliance Manager
About Europa Worldwide Group:
Europa Worldwide Group is the leading independent logistics firm and employs over 950 staff and was recently featured in The Sunday Times Top Track 250 for the second time.
Europa Worldwide Group is a fast-growing privately-owned freight forwarder which is structured into six Divisions – Europa Road, Europa Air & Sea, Europa Warehouse, Europa Show freight, Europa Contact Centre and Continental Cargo Carriers.
Following an ambitious front-end restructuring of the business after Andrew Baxter acquired it in 2013, turnover has grown and its presence in the market is stronger than ever before. The business has succeeded through a combination of friendly people management and investing heavily in IT and physical infrastructure.
Europa Road operates the UK’s largest European groupage hub which is situated in Dartford. Its network of 13 UK branches trunk into Dartford from where freight connects with daily, direct services to 30 continental hubs. It also owns Continental Cargo Carriers, based in Belgium which performs full and part load services between the UK and Continent.
Each Branch comprises a Branch Manager, Account Managers (responsible for sales and customer service), Sales Operatives (supporting Account Managers) and Customer Service Operatives (responsible for customer service). We now wish to introduce a Branch Customs Supervisor, responsible for the timely and accurate production of customs declarations for the shipments managed within the branch.
You will be directly responsible for the compliant production of UK import declarations, UK export declarations and the preparation of their corresponding French Import Declaration as produced by the branch team. The information required to prepare and perform those declarations is managed directly within Europa’s Transport Management System (TMS), Leonardo and input into Leonardo either directly by the UK exporting client or the Account Management and Customer Service teams in the branch.
This is where you come in:
Each day you will take responsibility for ensuring the branch personnel are adhering to the prescribed process and are performing the task to the highest level of compliance.
You will be required to speak to customers proactively, to assist them with their queries, sharing your knowledge and expertise and instilling customer confidence. You may be required to do this independently or with the Branch or Account Manager, as the circumstance dictates.
You will be required to trouble-shoot, problem solve and proactively manage the compliance of the entire process within the branch, working with all necessary elements of the Road Business to deliver compliance with the overall objective of achieving 100% compliance for all declarations created.
Our Ideal Person:
The following skills will be beneficial to a candidate looking to apply for this role:
- +3 years’ operational customs experience, ideally at supervisory level, in a freight forwarding, customs broker, customs agency or the customs department inside your business’ environment.
- Excellent practical knowledge of customs processes and regimes at an operational level.
- Excellent standard of communication both written and verbal.
- People person, who can clearly communicate ideas, concepts and processes both internally including customers and suppliers.
- Demonstration of a detailed understanding of key principles for the role e.g. import/export procedures, tariff classification and duty structures, valuation, origin, export controls and specialist regimes (for example, CFSP, IPR, OPR or similar).
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of how industries, other countries and other disciplines impact trade flows and processes, including but not limited to: imports, exports, supply chain security programs/requirements)
- Demonstrate strong knowledge relating to customs compliance.
- Working effectively as part of a team, with a strong ethic to support and help in order to achieve team objectives as well as individual role objectives.
- A strong sense of responsibility and a hands-on approach – always striving to get the job done to satisfaction.
- Interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Well-organized working methods and the ability to communicate complex issues in simplistic language.
- You have an open, enthusiastic and flexible mindset and are used to working in a fast-paced, dynamic, results-driven environment.
In this role, you will:
- Take responsibility for the accurate and timely creation of UK import declarations (non-network shipments), UK export declarations and their corresponding French import declarations for jobs controlled within the UK Branch environment.
- Work with the team daily to ensure all tasks are completed to satisfaction and on time.
- Proactively speak with customers, assisting with queries, sharing knowledge and expertise.
- Ensure you instil customer and branch personnel confidence.
- Be responsible in ensuring that customers are compliant and that they will be required to audit client masterdata as part of their compliance role.
- Resolve compliance problems, actively seeking innovative solutions to customer problems using your expertise and skill.
- Work within all necessary teams within Europa Road business, compliance agencies, suppliers and customers to deliver objectives.
- Represent Europa Road as a trustworthy partner when dealing with customers, suppliers or compliance partners or authorities.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with all parties.
- Maintain a compliant customs clearance process within set lead times to achieve the growth and the profit objectives of the company.
- Develop and maintain both new and existing customer relationships, promoting the company’s services.
- Ensure compliance with relevant regulations.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in the branch and work to improve through training and guidance, working closely with the Branch Manager to ensure gaps are minimized, taking care to maintain a positive team culture at all times.
- Create, develop and maintain any necessary training documentation to ensure compliance with the clearance process
- Where required, travel to fulfil the responsibilities of the job position.
What you can expect from us:
- Competitive salary package, plus end of year bonus.
- Europa benefits scheme (on successful completion of probation period) – offers and discounts on latest technology, vouchers, gym membership etc.
- The opportunity to develop, progress and work within a global organisation which is rapidly growing.
- A fantastic working culture which promotes excellent work/life balance.
- Working closely with a team of talented individuals with a great work ethic who also love to have fun!
- 24 days holidays and contributory company pension scheme.