This is a “hands on” position working in our busy IT department. The successful candidate will have at least 12 months of commercial IT support experience, providing 1st & 2nd Line Support in a multi-site environment. The main focus for the successful applicant will be to field support calls and helpdesk tickets with minimal travel to UK sites. Assisting the end user remotely or directly to help resolve their issues, or escalate them to an appropriate member of the IT team within stated SLA’s. This support role will also include the installation and testing of computer systems and peripherals. Permission/User/Group and basic network administration & networking skills. Assisting in monitoring infrastructure and responding accordingly to ‘outages’. As this role is primarily end user facing, excellent phone manner, communication and problem-solving skills are obviously a must, as well as the ability to manage time effectively and efficiently. You will need to be a team player with the ability to work alone where necessary and if you are keen to learn new skills you will definitely get the most out of this job.
Responsibilities / position in structure
- To be the first line of support for the Helpdesk Team, taking the appropriate action to resolve problems received.
- Interact with computer platforms in a multi-layered client server environment.
- Assist with the installation, configuration, and ongoing usability of thin clients, desktop, laptops, peripheral equipment and software within established standards.
- Ensure desktop computers interconnect seamlessly with diverse systems including the associated file servers, email servers, application servers, and administrative systems.
- Assist in routine IT maintenance to ensure that the company systems run efficiently at all times.
- Help train and orient staff on use of current hardware and software.
- Assist in monitoring and maintenance of the LAN/WAN infrastructure and connectivity, as appropriate.
- Where necessary it may be a requirement to visit our UK based sites for routine maintenance, support, training or assist with ‘outages’.
- To provide out of hours support in line with a shared support rota.
Duties / responsibilties in order of priority
- End user IT support 70%
- Desktop, laptop build and configuration 15%
- Test and Project work 10%
- System/Network administration 5%
What you should have
- 12+ months of commercial IT support experience, in a large user base environment.
- Ability to handle 20-40 Helpdesk calls per day
- An excellent understanding of desktop, laptops, thin clients and servers.
- Microsoft Active directory administration.
- Windows 7/10, Windows Server 2003/2008/2008R2/2012/2012R2/2016/2016R2 and Linux.
- Microsoft Office 2013, 2016 & Office365
- Understanding & Management of Thin Clients.
- Citrix Administration (Application based)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience using IT Helpdesk/Support Software.
- User/training manual documentation experience.
- Networking advantageous (TCPIP, Ping, Tracert, IPcConfig, PuTTY)
- Switch configuration knowledge advantageous.